Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Creamy Potato Leek Soup



I love this soup. It is perfect in the winter when the sun goes does at 5 o'clock. It is creamy and chunky and taste even better the next day. The leeks add an extra "something" you just don't get in your everyday cooking!! Enjoy.


Creamy Potato Leek Soup:
1 bunch of Leeks (thinly sliced, using only the white part)
6-8 medium potatoes (peeled, and chopped)
1/2 cube of butter
~ Saute for 15 minutes on low heat 

Add:
3 cans of chicken broth (16 oz. cans)
1 ham bone
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup of diced ham
Salt, Pepper, Parsley to taste

In your stock pot combine: butter, leeks and potatoes. Allow to saute on low for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally. Add: chicken broth, cream, milk and ham bone. Having a ham bone to add makes the soup taste exponentially better, in fact, I only make it when I have a ham bone.** Simmer on low for 45 minutes until serving time. I've had my simmer for up to 2 hours, if soup is getting too thick while simmering you can always add more milk. Before serving remove ham bone and add ham, salt, pepper and parsley to taste.

**Ham Bone: I will typically buy a bone-in ham from Costco, cook it and then save my ham bone for this soup to make during the coming week.

Don't forget to add your favorite rolls to dinner. Rhodes Rolls are always my go-to rolls at dinner time.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin