Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lucky Golden Horseshoe Sign

With St. Patrick's Day one week away, I wanted to share a super easy, super fun lucky golden horseshoe sign. This honestly only took me an afternoon including running to my local IFA for a horseshoe! If you feel like spreading the luck around your neighborhood, this is the sign for you.
Here is what you need:
I always seem to have a stack of wood boards in all different sizes in my garage for fun projects like this. My piece of wood (particle board)  measured 12" by 18". With my sponge brush, I painted the top and sides with a mix of three green paints. I didn't go all Monet on it, I just blended the greens until I liked the results.
I also painted the horseshoe green, but then put a top coat of GOLD! I added little accents of gold on the board too.
My neighbor has a vinyl cutter and I asked her to cut this saying out in black. If you don't have access to vinyl, you could paint the words on yourself ~ free hand or stencil. You could also cut the letters of some cute cardstock and decoupage them on to the board. Stickers. Endless possibilities!!

"Everybody needs a little bit of Luck" Cute huh?!

After attaching the vinyl and placing everything proportionately, I nailed my horseshoe to the board.
For the bow, I had some really adorable shamrock fabric that I had been holding on to for umm.....8 years. I drilled two holes in the top of the board to attach my fabric. You can also use ribbon or anything else that tickles your fancy. I attached the sign to my door knocker with a pretty bow! Now every leprechaun who stops by for a visit gets a little extra lucky or maybe even a clue to a hidden stash of gold!!

4 comments:

Barb said...

Cute!!

reddquilter said...

you may want to turn your horse shoe the other way--you don't want all your luck to run out.

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

What a fun sign, great tutorial. I need to come see it!

Unknown said...

Very nice. But Reddquilter is right, you need to turn your horseshoe around cause all your luck is falling out.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin